Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Why a suitcase?


I took a course last year in which we had to so some reflection, and I thought I would name my blog after some of my thoughts from part of an assignment. We all carry baggage, or I prefer to call it luggage, or better yet, a suitcase, around with us. Some of us carry large suitcases and some small (different levels of power in relationships), some with wheels to make life a bit easier (privileges), some brand names (rich), for some it may be a Sobey’s bag (poverty). Some suitcases are overstuffed and held together with duct tape (band-aid solutions from government or programs). Some of us never open the suitcase for fear of what we may find (no self reflection or may be in denial) or fear we may not be able to close it again (afraid to find out we don’t like ourselves and difficulty changing). Some of us open it, re-organize, add a few things (new skills) or take a few things out (changing from negative thought patterns to positive). Some of us don’t open it until it bursts open on it’s own and we are forced to deal with it (mental illness or crisis). Some are given “issued” luggage, like a rucksack in the military, from an organization or system, (systemic racism), and some of us are carrying an invisible back pack and don’t even know it (privilege). Sometimes we change the type of suitcase we carry, (can be oppressed and then an oppressor), but regardless, we all carry one with us. So, during my life’s journey I will try to be aware of the suitcase I am carrying, and not judgemental of the suitcases others may be carrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment